Tuesday 11 October 2016

Dreadtober! Well sort of...

Afternoon all,


So many of you will be aware of the Dreadtober Event that the esteemed Greggles ran last year and is being run by Joe B this year. I'm not actually partaking in the event proper, mostly because I had no plans to paint a dreadnought during October! However in my boredom last night I decided to pull the first part of my secret (and now not so secret) project off the to-do pile and crack on with it!

Sometimes during the hobby you have great big lulls in motivation and barely paint or build a thing for quite extended periods of time. My Death Company crippled me around November last year for a good solid month after trying to do too much to a deadline. 

Last night on the other hand I was a veritable wizard it felt like! And so in 3 hours of solid work whilst listening to deliverance lost (Heresy Audiobooks are brilliant for painting) I finished off Rylanor the Unyielding. 

His pose is inspired by a part of the Galaxy in Flames novel that covers the Istvann III massacre. It talks of Rylanor stood atop the Prefector Palace immune to the world eater virus due to his proof sealed contemptor class dreadnought armour. I have imagined him pointing his fist to the traitors as they land following the fire storm, promising them death and retribution.

A few shots I took whilst the arms were drying followed by the whole shebang:













Thoughts on a post card :)

Peace out,

Rob

14 comments:

  1. Now Rob that's extremely pretty! I love the colours you've gone with, eschewing the bright gold and toning it down so much, plus the brick colours on the base are brilliant!

    I know what you mean about hobby mojo, I felt like some kind of hobby god at the weekend, put lots of effort into my garage getting space sorted for a new board, then doing a couple of hours on the terminators. It's paying off, as the first fighting pit is taking shape, another terminator finished a day ahead of schedule and plans for the board (in-built storage table) taking shape. Shame things like that actually cost money eh?

    I did wonder when you were being so secretive if it was EC you were doing, you'll make a great job of them I know that much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mate :)

      You have been nailing the hobby horse recently! All the more impressive with the smoothness and amount of white you've been painting!

      I blame you and Mike for putting them in my head and then listening the the Istvann III audibook just tipped me over the edge. Ironic given my reviews seemed to have tempted you to the third!

      Delete
  2. Liking that pose. Good job on the paint and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU! I can hear him shouting through his box grille! Excellent pose and nice colouring on the fist. So is that a Dreadtober job started and finished in one sitting? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was a little dubious but I'm really glad how it came together in the end. The picture straight down the fist is my favourite. And yeah it was more of Dreadweekday than Dreadtober :P

      Delete
  4. The colours suit the dark mood of the moment, very nice! Interesting power effect too.
    There was a terrific amount of gravitas in the scene, makes one almost feel sorry for the brothers interred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My move towards darker tones in general is in no small way inspired by you D :)

      There is a story about the Death Guard caught in the virus bombing and an honoured brother in contemptor was ravaged due to a small crack in his armour, but in a final act of defiance he gathered up his captain who had been caught outside too, made their way clear of the bunker and then detonated his reactor so as to deny the traitors their deaths. Very moving.

      Delete
  5. Dude, that looks fantastic. The only critique I have is that something looks a little off about the OSL on the Fist, but I can't really put my finger on exactly what it is. The dark purple, gold, and steel, with the contrasting hits of white, is just amazing, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate :) I actually not what you mean on the fist, I think I may have taken the OSL a bit to far back on the wrist but I'm not confident enough that is the reason to alter it sadly.

      Delete
  6. Sweeeeeet! I really dig how that turned out - awesome work, man!

    ReplyDelete