Monday 26 September 2016

Review of Lasercut Candies Astartes Shields

Hi everyone,


I recently wrote about a small company run by a young lovely guy called Mario, this was Lacercutted Candies which you can read about through the link back that way. Yesterday I received a parcel in the post from Mario with a selection of shields plus he had actually sent me some of the painted samples on top of the order.

Today I'm just gonna run through the shields that I got! Mario was very kind and threw in some of his painted examples which we have below! I have advised he may need to tweak a few designs to avoid possible ip infringement but I don't think he will have any trouble doing that!


A Taghmata Omnissiah seal about an inch across, really lovely.




A selection of legion specific breacher shields and armour panels. I love the iron warriors armour panel above, the big solid IV is just really nice and uncomplicated.


Equally this gun mount skull looks like it would make a really nice touch to a vehicle.


If you do want more skulls Mario has multiple designs in the works and for sale already. The round shield variant is very nice for anyone that want them to be more of a combat shield for Assault squads or storm shields in 40k. As you can see they take primer just fine without losing the fidelity of detail.


My personal favourite is the third legion on the right, which I have ordered 27 of (you'll find out why soon). The death guard and sons of horus shields are brilliant, but these are the ones that I think are most likely to catch Mario out, so I'd grab them soon just in case!


A plain shield is obviously brilliant for anyone that wants to use transfers to spice the shield up from FW or even freehand some detail on. I do like the Raven shield as well.


This is a tiny nub only 1cm across but is a handy way of adding mechanicum detail to any third party miniatures you want to add to your force.

Overall

I love these shields! For clarity you can see in several of the pictures that the laser etching leaves a surface that is not completely smooth. However I personally like this as it adds texture to the shields but I can definitely see that it won't be to some peoples taste, so if you do order them do be aware that the flat surfaces will be ever so slightly textured. But for the price and the quality (and if like me you think it adds to the shields) I think they are brilliant. 

The 27 EC shields that I bought (the ones with the large wings out to the side 3 pictures up cost me around 70 euros including shipping. I actually advised Mario that that seemed a bit cheap to me for what I am getting, and he did say certain shields take longer to make and I think he has a right to a fair price on them. The smaller round shields are cheaper though. 

Overall, great value and a top bloke. I do recommend! If you want to know more visit his facebook page and ask for an invite to buy his products :)

Peace out,

Rob


7 comments:

  1. Great review Rob as always - ironically, one of my other acquaintances has been ordering some stuff like this over the weekend too, it looks to be the same guy, though he's designed his own space wolf shields etc, so it seems it may be a bespoke service too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ordered a bunch after your last post on him. Really great service and I am looking forwrd to getting my shields to make my Space Wolf breachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a bunch of III legion shields for a little project coming, very excited!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the heads up on this! Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete