Tuesday 12 January 2016

Hero For A Day - A Good cause worth giving too

Hi Readers,


Today I'm just going to talk about an event being run by Nick over at The Burning Eye (keep an eye out for a blog recommendation article for more specific info) which is a charitable 24 hour marathon 40k event. 


The Charity

The charity in question is The Childrens Cancer and Leukaemia Group (CCLG) which does excellent research into cancer treatment both by providing a point of interaction for multiple professionals within the academic non-profit sphere as well as the pharmaceutical industry sphere to collaborate on important developments, but also provides direct funding for research into cancer therapies as well as general research which deepens our understanding of the pathologies that underlie aberrant cell behaviour.

As well as the forward motion in science support that they provide, the CCLG also plays an incredibly important and informative role for parents who have had the crushing diagnosis of cancer for their loved child. 

If you want to find out the exact motivation for Nick choosing this charity then please head on over to his blog to read the entire background of this event. Suffice to say it is for an extremely good cause. 


The Event

Nick has been putting in a gargantuan amount of effort to create an excellent team based marathon event which pits two overall alignments of 'good' vs 'bad' (as I recall at the time of writing), with each team based victory altering the flow of the games to come and having direct impact on the unfolding plot. 

I won't go into more detail than that as Nick has some very excellent posts which chart his creative process and I don't think I can do justice to his extreme efforts!! 

The event is pretty space limited though with only 20 participant places available this inaugral year., So if you are interested may I recommend you register that interest with Nick post haste to guarantee a place :) I will absolutely be attending as I think it sounds like an incredibly fun day out to bond with some fellow hobby fanatics over a good cause. Much merriment and fun will be had of that I am sure, plus if you are (for some unknown reason) interested in meeting me than I will guarantee to stand you a pint :) (or a bottle of well crafted ale - no Fosters allowed amigos).


Sounds Great! But I can't attend...

If you aren't able to make it to the event for whatever reason but you still want to contribute to the cause and raise money for charity then have no fear! Nick has set up a brilliant donations page that can be found over here through this link where you can donate whatever you can spare and leave some kind words. 

I can't emphasise enough the work this charity does, I am in direct contact with some research groups funded by the CCLG and they are really pushing the boundaries of science to improve our understanding of cancerous conditions which WILL eventually translate into better medicine for children and most likely adults as well. 


Anyway, that's all from me folks today, be sure to have a read of Nick's blog anyway, though I will do a proper review of his corner of the blogosphere in the coming month, but why wait!!? I will be posting about this event a few more times as it comes closer both to remind people but also to go over my lists that I will be taking as and when I start to design them :)

Peace out,

Rob

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Rob - you've explained the science-ey part better than I ever could! Looking forward to seeing what you're planning on bringing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I am hoping to get lots painted in the meantime so I have a hefty choice of armies to bring!

      Delete